|The Grizzly H8259 bench-top mini wood lathe is a solid piece of machinery that gets the job done for an affordable price. Sturdily built, it is best suited for small woodworking projects, like turning pens or bowls.|
|Read Reviews & Buy on Amazon|
• Motor: 1/2 HP, 110V, single-phase
• Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
• Distance between centers: 18″
• Swing over bed: 10″
• Includes tool rest, live rolling center, spur center and wrenches
• Overall dimensions: 36″ L x 11-1/2″ W x 15″ H
Grizzly have tried to manufacture a wood turning lathe that will be both cheap, last long and get the job done. The Grizzly H8259 is very easy to set up, and its size and shape make it fit on almost any surface or table. The weight distribution also seems optimal, which allows for high precision work – the lathe is quiet and there is no vibration. It can be said that the Grizzly H8259 is a truly grizzly machine.
But, what about the motor you ask? The Grizzly H8259 features a ½ HP single-phase motor, which is fine for its class and the scope of its use. Mainly, this means that you’ll be fine with turning smaller objects like bowls, pens and spindles, but you will need to have a bigger, more powerful machine for bigger projects. However, for hobbyists and small-scale wood turners, the Grizzly H8259 is more than ideal.
That being said, the motor of this Grizzly lathe offers variable speeds from 826 all the way to 3337 revolutions per minute (RPM). This is a great feature that enables you to work on a variety of projects and turn different species of wood, but it is worth noting that the speed can only be changed by manually manipulating the belt to another pulley. Admittedly, this is a fairly common feature among tools of this price range – but some tools offer changing the speed much more handily, like the Shop Fox W1704 for example (See our Shop Fox W1704 lathe review here).
On top of this, the Grizzly H8259 boasts a distance of 18″ between centers: an above-average feature for mini lathes. This opens up additional space for the use of greater pieces of wood, which allows for a greater than usual variety of wood turning projects you can make with this lathe.
Finally, this lathe offers a tool rest, and along with the adjustable leveling feet you can make this tool fit your needs comfortably. All in all, the Grizzly H8259 features a solid motor, variable speeds and a larger than usual 18″ between centers all at a low price. You can’t go wrong!
- People who bought the Grizzly H8259 are pleased with its solid construction and cost-effectiveness. Its performance is quiet and there is no vibration. It’s a great, cheap machine for hobbyists that gets the job done. Ideal for crafting small objects like pens, bowls, and spindles. The customer service is also said to be top-notch.
- Some customers complain that the motor gets too hot after some use, but there are no reports of malfunction. Some users are of the opinion that the tool rest is too small.